Burg Sterrenberg

56341 Kamp-Bornhofen

The “white castle” is the older of the two “Feuding Brothers”. Built in 1190 and known as castrum Sterrenberg, it is one of the oldest hilltop castles on the Rhine. As far back as 1568 it was already described as a ruin; between 1968 and 1978 it was partially rebuilt in the Gothic style. A castle tavern with a pleasant panoramic terrace invites visitors to pause and take in the views of the Rhine.

Sterrenberg Castle must be one of the oldest castle complexes on the Middle Rhine: its bergfried came into being at the end of the 12th century at the latest. Alongside its altar, Sterrenburg Castle also features two successive shield walls as a special feature. The outer wall is even stronger and higher than the inner one and clearly directed against the neighbouring Liebenstein Castle. The distinctive problems of the changing ownership relationship in the Middle Rhine are visible in these two, at one time bitterly hostile, castle complexes. For in the Middle Ages, various rulers’ territories often lay directly next to each other in this area. A fair amount of the hostility of princes, counts or abbots manifested itself in the strongholds securing these territories. According to the saga of the “Enemy brothers”, it was brothers in the case of Sterrenberg Castle as with Liebenstein Castle who built the well-fortified complexes in strife. Rather than family strife, today’s visitor can expect a castle with premises for functions as well as a café and restaurant.

Burg Sterrenberg
Burg Sterrenberg, Außenmauer
Burg Sterrenberg liegt am Rheinsteig

Burg Sterrenberg

56341 Kamp-Bornhofen
Burg Sterrenberg
56341 Kamp-Bornhofen

Phone: (0049)2627 9820
E-mail: info@zum-weissen-schwanen.de
Web: https://www.burg-sterrenberg.com/

Plan route