Im Wiedtal 63, 56567 Neuwied-Altwied
The castle ruins in the Neuwied district of Altwied stand on a narrow rocky ridge and are surrounded on three sides by the small river Wied. Around the main castle, which was built in the 12th and 13th centuries, there are several successively laid out fortification rings. The castle was never conquered, fought over or even destroyed during its existence. It was inhabited by members of the Count zu Wied family until 1690, but fell into disrepair afterwards. It served both as a quarry for the construction of Monrepos Castle around 1760 and 1792 and for the reinforcement of Ehrenbreitstein Fortress. Around 1880, the Prince of Wied had some rooms restored, but most of the castle remained in ruins.